Friday, February 14, 2014

The son of a son of a sailor.......Jimmy Buffet

What a concert! But, this is about Bob, not Jimmy; although there are a lot of similarities. Bob built his first boat at 13 yrs of age. It was a 14 ft. mini-racer (a small hydro). Consequently several of his neighbors, old and young, built one after seeing his. They would get together and race their boats off of Three Tree Point or off the beach at Vashon.  Bob's boats just got bigger and bigger from then on. He became one of the Charter Members of Three Tree Point Yacht Club.  I think he only decided to  'blind date" me because he heard that I was a board administrator at the Seattle Sailing Foundation.  I had a small sailboat, had taken lessons, but was no big sailing woman.  Our first date was a meet at his Boat, a 42 foot Chris Craft, for champagne with strawberries in the glass then onto Anthony's Homeport for Oyster Shooters.  I learned later that this was his Motive  Operandi. Bob and I did sail together for some races and when he went to Swiftsure with his friend, Bob Wilson, as crew they even came in first. I was just an observer.   Our honeymoon was in the South Sound on Sea Cloud (the chris craft)  three days, then home to pick up the kids and go to Sun Lakes for a family honeymoon. We became the" blended family."  We had the ups and downs of blended families, of any family, but we powered through it.  Still to this day we say "In spite of us, Our Kids turned out great!"  I always felt safe with Captain Bob....except for once! Next blog.

1 comment:

DeHan said...

Did you feel safe always in the motor home? I seem to remember a bad brake adventure!